Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Going backwards with transformations. (:

Greetings beautiful people! My name is Aron. I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. I guess I'll explain going backwards with transformations and stuff. 

What do you do when you go backwards with transformations? Well, you go backwards. You start where you're supposed to end and end where you're supposed to start. 

Remember this:
Since your going the opposite direction  with your transforming, you do the opposite of you're normally supposed to do.


I don't know how to make graphs on my crappy laptop so I'm gonna need you guys to use your imagination


Remember that since you're doing things backwards you do the addition parts (translations) before the multiplication parts (stretches)!

Normally you do the "opposite" operation to x-values and you do what it says for the y-values but not this time! Now you do the "opposite thing for y-values!



EXAMPLES!!!
Imagine the function y= 2f (x-1) had  the following point:
(6,-4)

You were then asked to find the values of  these points at f(x)
To get that you need to first ask yourself what you have to do first.
What I do first I look for what I'm supposed to do to the x and y-values.
(REMEMBER THAT YOU'RE GOING BACKWARDS)
For X 
1. You subtract 1 to the x-values. 

For Y
1. You multiply 1/2 to the y-values.

You will end up doing this:
(6,-4) =>       ((6-1),(-4/2)) =>        (5,-2)

That means that f(x) = (5,-2)

For another example lets say you had the function y = -2f(2(x+2))+2
(REMEMBER THAT YOU'RE GOING BACKWARDS)

For the x-values you look at this part of the function -2f(2(x+2))+2 then we do this:
Step 1: Add 2 to all x-values
Step 2: Multiply 2 to all x-values

For the y-values you look at this part of the function -2f(2(x+2))+2
Step 1: Subtract 2 from all y-values
Step 2: Divide all y-values by -1/2 
(Don't forget to make the factor by which you divide negative for the reflection)
Step 3: Enjoy! You're done.

_________________________________________________________________________________

It's now time for my final thoughts.
First of all I know that my scribe thing is bad compared to what everyone else has done, I'm sorry.

Second, I like doughnuts. I believe that we can get doughnuts next week.

Third, the key to being good at math is practice. Don't study! Practice! They're very different. Studying is boring, practicing can be fun!

_________________________________________________________________


Don't practice until you get thing right, practice until you don't get it wrong."  -HALT O'CARRICK

1 comment: